Sport Climbing Instructor and Climbing Wall Attendant
Position Type: Auxiliary
Department: Community Sport
Hours expected (may not be guaranteed): 20-25 hours per week
Anticipated Start Date: Ongoing
Note: Priority will be given to applicants who can also work as a Sport Climbing Instructor and/or Climbing Wall Attendant. Interviews may occur before the application closing date.
We are looking for excellent people to join our Community Sport team!
Sport Climbing Instructor focuses on helping individuals aged 6 to 17 develop fundamental to intermediate climbing skills in a fun and safe environment. We are looking for passionate individuals with a love of climbing and sound coaching background. On top of the coaching hours, we expect applicants to also be Climbing Wall Attendants.
As a Climbing Wall Attendant, you will be expected to oversee the daily operations of the wall, including but not limited to greeting customers, promoting climbing programs, providing an orientation to new clients and climbing advice, and ensuring general safety.
Your core responsibilities as a Sport Climbing Instructor include,
- Communicating with parents and providing program participants with feedback
- Ensuring general program readiness, including equipment lists, lesson plans, games, and activities for a range of abilities
- Implementing a variety of techniques for students to develop climbing skills
- Responsible for the safety and progressive instruction of Learn to Climb programs based on the objectives of the specific programs as well as Long Term Athlete Development Model/Sport for Life
- Communicating effectively with the Climbing Programmer and Head Coach regarding program needs and improvements
- Compliant with program policies and procedures (attendance, report cards, radios, first aid, etc.)
Your core responsibilities as a Wall Attendant include,
- Ensuring the safety of members and visitors by paying particular attention to behavior, technique, proper form, and equipment wear and tear
- Monitoring and managing wall usage during open hours: belay testing, orientations, check-ins, etc.
- Promoting youth and adult climbing programs
- Encouraging personal climbing goal attainments for participants
- Collecting feedback from both members and coworkers to develop the member experience
- Maintaining a safe, clean and welcoming environment
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include,
- Background and knowledge in Sport Climbing (Boulder, Lead, and Speed), belay techniques, and climbing gear
- Ability to assess and evaluate athlete's fundamental movement skills and as well as specific climbing skills
- Experience delivering high quality, progressive climbing instruction to athletes ages 6-17 is preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Optimistic, passionate, and personable
- A love for teaching children!
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to complete daily tasks and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner
- Aptitude to self-direct and take initiative
- Route setting and knowledge in outdoor rock climbing experience is an asset
- Completion of, or in the process of completing the Climbing Gym Instructor Level 1 and 2 Certification (ACMG) is an asset.
- Completion of SafeSport Training, Understanding the Rule of Two, and Commit to Kids: Foundational Information courses
- Valid Standard First Aid, CPR-C, and AED Certificate.
- Must be able to complete a successful Criminal Record Check.
Must be able to commit to 6 to 8 hours shifts, three per week (including one weekend day):
- Monday to Friday 8am - 10pm
- Saturday and Sunday 8am - 8pm
Compensation range (hourly rate is based on qualifications and experience):
Sport Climbing Instructor: $20.29 to $26.27 plus 12% in lieu of benefits
Climbing Wall Attendant: $17.92 to $21.51 plus 12% in lieu of benefits
Perks: Our workplace culture embraces People, Excellence, Leadership, Team, and Innovation.
- Access to 20,000sq ft fitness center with top-class facilities, over 100 pieces of strength and cardio equipment, climbing and speed wall, unlimited fitness classes, Olympic-sized ice rinks, and the Richmond Olympic Experience (ROX) museum (restrictions may apply).
- Collaborative team environment.
- Opportunity to work in various auxiliary positions at the Richmond Olympic Oval to grow your knowledge and experience.
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs, and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive, and collaborative work environment.
Suppose you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service, and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community. In that case, we want to hear from you!