Group Fitness Instructor
Position: Group Fitness Instructors (Various)
Department: Fitness & Wellness
Position Type: Auxiliary
Anticipated Start Date: September 2023
Specifically seeking applicants available: Monday evenings and weekends
Join the Richmond Olympic Oval’s Group Fitness team for an opportunity to work alongside industry-leading top talent in a dynamic culture who are passionate, experienced, and determined.
We’re looking for Group Fitness instructors that are:
- Ready to deliver and add value to Oval’s in-house offering
- Dynamic and confident with a passion for health and fitness
- Skilled at proper and safe use of a variety of equipment during each class, with modifications; comfortable teaching with mic
- Team players who are committed to community
- Reliable, responsive to customer needs, and excellent at building relationships
If it’s you, please apply to join our OVALfit team!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Capability of teaching any or all of the following formats in person, live, and for our virtual platform:
- Group Cycling
- Athletic classes (i.e. Tabata, EMOM, AMRAP, Boot camp, Circuit, ViPR, TRX)
- Traditional Fitness classes (i.e. Barre, cardio kickboxing, Group Strength)
- Myofascial Release / Foam Rolling
- Plan and lead exercise/activity sessions in one or more assigned fitness areas
- Set up and monitor class equipment, and ensure its return in serviceable condition.
- Advise participants on program and class procedures and policies, as appropriate.
- Answer questions from participants after each session; assists in performing follow-up and communication with participants, as required.
- Ensure that safety and injury prevention policies and procedures are adhered to by participants; reports accidents and prepares accident reports, as required.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Please Note: A practical demonstration of teaching skills will be a component of the screening process for all candidates.
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include:
- Must possess a current Group Fitness Certification (BCRPA), CanFit Pro or a degree in a related field;
- Minimum 2+ years of teaching experience with group classes is preferred.
- Must possess and maintain current CPR certification, must be insured through a reputable company for personal liability insurance
- Ability to work mornings, midday, evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Must be well-versed in basic anatomy, kinesiology, contraindicated exercises, exercise modifications
- Additional certifications to teach specialized classes, or special populations such as seniors, pre-/post-natal and adapted fitness are an asset.
- Must be able to complete a successful Criminal Record Check.
- Must be able to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (2 doses).
Compensation range: $37.99-46.04 plus 12% in lieu of benefits (hourly rate is based on qualifications and experience)
Perks: Our workplace culture embraces People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation.
- Access to 20,000sq ft fitness centre with top class facilities, over 100 pieces of strength and cardio equipment, 4-storey climbing wall, fitness classes, Olympic sized ice rinks and the Richmond Olympic Experience (ROX) museum (restrictions may apply).
- Collaborative team environment.
- Opportunity to work in various auxiliary positions at the Richmond Olympic Oval to grow your knowledge and experience.
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!