Building Service Worker (Auxiliary)
Position Type: Unionized Auxiliary
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
The Richmond Olympic Oval is a breathtaking venue on the banks of the Fraser River. Located in the City of Richmond, a culturally diverse and geographically unique community centrally located on Canada's West Coast, in Metro Vancouver. The Richmond Olympic Oval is an international centre of excellence for sports, health and wellness, culture and entertainment used by members of our community and those seeking to wear the maple leaf on the international stage.
Your core responsibilities include,
- Responsible for custodial, maintenance and technical work in a sport, recreation & event complex.
- Is a member of the facility maintenance team and is responsible for ensuring a safe environment for the community to enjoy.
- Liaises with internal, external and partner stakeholders to ensure that their experience is positive.
- Assists with maintaining and operating the building in an efficient manner.
- Works under minimal supervision for routine matters and under guidance for new or complex assignments.
A day in the life of a Building Service Worker include,
- Operates custodial equipment in a safe manner
- Deals tactfully and courteously with the public
- Keeps accurate records, including, but not limited to: daily log of activities, equipment usage reports and material usage reports
- Performs janitorial duties and routine building maintenance
- Establishes and maintains liaison with community groups, program partners and others to assess needs of the community and appropriate responses to the needs
- Works / collaborates with staff to review and evaluate the effectiveness of maintenance routines
- Assists in developing policy recommendations for the maintenance of the building
- Ensures that Health and Safety policies are followed at all times
- Uses computer applications as required
- Responds to building issues in order to maintain a safe environment and positive experience for staff and users
- Prioritizes the work that has been assigned for the day and taking into account the issues that can arise during the shift
- Resolves customer complaints and inquiries in a satisfactory manner, e.g. a complaint that has been received about the cleanliness of the building
- Resolves issues with equipment that are not operating correctly
- Assists with event conversion tasks
- Other duties as assigned.
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include,
- Completion of Grade 12
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Building Service Worker Certificate is required
- Must possess the ability and commitment to work in a fast-paced environment, set priorities and balance a number of tasks at the same time.
- Proven experience in building and sustaining effective relationships
- Sound knowledge of all aspects of janitorial and building maintenance equipment
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse client base (youth, seniors, adults and special populations)
- Physically capable of carrying out the duties of the position
- Exhibits good judgement and discretion
- Strong consensus building and conflict resolution skills
- Team player, but also works well independently
- Basic computer skills
- Excellent oral & written communications skills
- Accurate keeper of records and information
- Must be able to complete a successful criminal record check.
- Must be able to provide proof of vaccination (2 doses).
Your schedule could look like,
- As this is an auxiliary position, you may expect to work evenings, graveyard and weekends. Hours vary as a result of events and operational needs, such as shift coverage.
As a part of your application, you will be asked to confirm your availability.
$26.75 per hour (inclusive of 12% in lieu) as per the collective agreement.
*June 30, 2022 rate.
Perks: Our workplace culture embraces People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation.
- Access to 20,000sq ft fitness center with top-class facilities, over 100 pieces of strength and cardio equipment, climbing and speed wall, fitness classes, Olympic-sized ice rinks, and the Richmond Olympic Experience (ROX) museum (restrictions may apply).
- Collaborative team environment.
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!